Town Clerk - June Caron

CERTIFIED COPIES OF VITAL RECORDS.  Certified copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses, or death certificates are available at a cost of $15.00 (additional copies purchased on the same day are $6.00 each).  To obtain vital records (including divorce records) directly from the State, please click here.    

MARRIAGE LICENSES.  The below information regarding marriage licenses will assist those who wish to file for a marriage license in Benton.   For more info about getting married in Maine, click here.   

Marriage intentions must be recorded in writing on the Marriage Intentions form.   Both parties must sign the intentions in the presence of the Town Clerk or Deputy Town Clerk or a Notary Public.

If both the bride-to-be and groom-to-be are residents of Maine but live in separate municipalities, they can have their marriage intentions recorded by the Clerk in either municipality.  If one is a Maine resident and one is not, the intentions must be filed in the municipality of the Maine resident.  The fee for a marriage license is $40.00.  If the intended bride and groom are both from another State or country and wish to marry in Maine, they can file intentions in any municipality in Maine and may be married anywhere in the State of Maine.

PREVIOUS MARRIAGE.   If the bride-to-be or groom-to-be have been married before and are divorced, the previously married person must show a certified copy of the last divorce decree (with the raised seal on the papers) to the Clerk or Deputy Clerk.   An annulment decree is required if the last marriage ended in an annulment.  This should not be a church annulment but rather a civil decree.  If the bride-to-be or groom-to-be's last spouse passed away, the person will need to show a certified copy of the death certificate for the deceased spouse.

OBTAINING THE MARRIAGE LICENSE.  After intentions are filed, the bride- and groom-to-be may obtain the marriage license from the Town Clerk (with whom the intentions were recorded).  The license can be obtained the same day that the intentions are filed.  The license must be used within 90 days after the date the intentions are filed.  After the Town Clerk issues the license, the license must be delivered to the person performing the marriage ceremony.   The person performing the marrage is then responsible for returning the completed and signed license to the Town Office.

OBTAINING A MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE.   After the person performing the marriage returns the completed and signed license to the Town Office, the marriage details will be filed and the bride or groom may obtain a copy of the Marriage Certificate from the Town Clerk or Deputy Town Clerk.  The fee for the Marriage Certificate is $15.00 for the first copy and $6.00 each for each additional copy.

NOTARY SEARCH.   Notaries may perform a marriage ceremony.  To find local notaries, click here.   

VOTING.  For information about voter eligibility in Maine, click here.   Benton residents may register to vote at the Town Office during regular office hours.  Voter registration cards may also be mailed to the Town Office.  To see a sample voter registration card, click here.

ABSENTEE VOTING.  For information about voting absentee click here . A registered voter may vote absentee  by voting at the Town Office when ballots are available, or by calling the Town Office at 453-7191 to request an absentee ballot.  If someone wants to request an absentee ballot for an immediate family member, that request must be made in person in writing at the Town Office, not via phone.

MILITARY.  For information about military personnel requests for Absentee Ballot through the Federal Voting Assistance Program, click here.  

.  As of December 4, 2014, the Town of Benton changed from State Senate District 25 and Representative Districts 54 and 55 to State Senate District 16 and State Representative Districts 78 and 79.   District 79 will include the majority of Benton.  District 78 will include the very west side of Benton, i.e., to the west of a line down the center of River Rd to the intersection with Fowler St; thence east along the center of Fowler St  and then south along the center of Lawrence Dr. to School Dr.; thence east along the center of School Dr. to the intersection with Neck Rd; thence in a general south-southwest direction to the Winslow-Benton line.  

To view a map of Benton's State Senate District 16, click here.

To view a map of Benton's current District 79 click here.  To view a map of District 78, click here.

ELECTED OFFICIALS.  To find your current State and U.S. elected officials, click here.     

The March 2019 TOWN MEETING minutes are available here.   The latest audit ishere.

The March 2018 TOWN MEETING minutes are available here. The latest audit is here.

DOG LICENSES.  All dogs need to be licensed upon reaching the age of 6 months in the town where the dog resides, or after the dog has been with the family/owner for 10 days, if adopted.  All dogs must be re-licensed by January 1st.   A valid rabies certificate must be presented at the time of licensing.  Proof of spaying/neutering must also be presented as applicable.  A mandatory $25.00 late fee will apply to all dog licenses after January 31st.  Dog licenses cost $11.00 unless the dog has been spayed or neutered.  Spayed/ neutered dog licenses are $6.00.  Kennel licenses are $42.00 for each kennel (up to 10 dogs).


RECREATIONAL VEHICLES - ATVs, boats, and snowmobiles can be registered at the Town Office.  ATV registrations are $46.00 ($47.00 for new).   Snowmobile registrations are $46.00 ($47.00 for new).  Boat registration fees depend on the boat's year of make, the length of the boat and the horse power of the motor.  Milfoil stickers are $10.00.  

To renew an ATV or snowmobile registration on line, click here.   For info about boat registration fees, click here.  

HUNTER SAFETY COURSES.  For information about firearms hunter safety courses, please click here.  

HUNTING AND FISHING LICENSES including COMPLIMENTARY and OVER-70/LIFETIME LICENSES. Hunters (Archery, Firearms & Crossbow) must show proof of previous license or hunter’s safety course.  If a license has been purchased at the Benton Town Office previously, we will have a copy on file.  Someone changing from a junior hunting to an adult hunting license must have proof of completion of a hunter’s safety course. To view maps of Maine Wildlife Management Districts, click here.   To purchase hunting and fishing licenses on-line, click here. For information about saltwater fishing licenses/ registry, click here.   

COMPLIMENTARY HUNTING AND/OR FISHING LICENSES.  For information about about complimentary licenses, click here.

OVER 70 HUNTING AND FISHING LICENSES.  Residents may obtain an over-70 lifetime hunting/ fishing license for $8.00.  These licenses may be obtained at any time in the calendar year that person turns 70.   A Maine resident who is 70 years of age or older can obtain a license to fish, trap, hunt, and bow-hunt. The following permits are included with the hunt and/or archery license: muzzleload, bear, migratory bird, pheasant, spring and fall wild turkey, coyote night hunt, crossbow, one expanded archery antlerless deer permit, or renewal of a license to guide.  The license can be obtained from IF&W's main office in Augusta or from a local license agent and are valid for the lifetime of the license holder. Note: Holders of this license no longer have to obtain the additional permits each year as they are now included as part of the license. They must still apply for any lottery permits such as moose and any-deer.

RESIDENT LIFETIME LICENSE.  For more info, click here